The Lowedown

The Lowedown

Postby Brenda » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39:12 pm

Sophie will have that tribe by the balls by this time tomorrow.
Brenda

Re: The Lowedown

Postby Frank » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53:07 pm

Brenda wrote:Sophie will have that tribe by the balls by this time tomorrow.

ikr icon_laughing
Frank

Postby Brenda » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56:56 pm

Frank wrote:
Brenda wrote:Sophie will have that tribe by the balls by this time tomorrow.

ikr icon_laughing

You got an AIM Frank? Holly did what the rest of us could not and managed to get a group chat running.

Back to the blogging; equally impressed by Semhar and Rick is as capable as expected. Papa Bear & Whitney are both giving out noobie vibes but PB is taking to it like a duck to water - is he the only one who has sent Jim a warm-up for when he arrives? Meanwhile Whit is adorable.

Christine was here and made a good start but then vanished. Cochran was here too but didn't make much of an impression. People know he exists at least? No Jim yet.
Brenda

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05:04 am

I don't, I might set that up tomorrow but now I'm too tired and gonna turn in.
Frank

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23:15 am

Oh Elyse exists too, but so far no sign. And Jim did actually show up to sign the rules, but he's not sent a single PM :/

Other things from Nama night one lap through PMs;
-PB & Whit promising to give each other #1 in their trust ranking <33 I think these two are my faves over there so far.
-Sophie/Sem/Rick - these three are going to run the show between them I'd reckon. Interesting to see the different styles & approaches. Sophie is top dog right now I'd say. Three/four paragraph PM exchanges running with nearly everyone. Semhar is a lot shorter, but seems more genuine with people and I might say a little more "trusted". Rick's style is more laid back again, but he's putting in good groundwork around the circuit. I can see him & PB clicking soon.
-Cochran & Christine are probably the outsiders? Just a little less visible both and a little less active. Neither in any kind of danger yet while Jim is mute & Elyse has yet to show, but not connecting with people he way the other five are.
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:27:18 am

Okay I've had a little peek in on Ovambo too, because once the PMs get thicker, I'll never catch up.

Mike & Matt are a pair of no-shows as of yet, so at least with Jim & Elyse, it's pretty even :D

It is a much different tribe to Nama, even already. There is no-one over there sending paragraphs a lá Sophie & Sem. I think there is a much more even balance of potential power though? I would say Ralph is the weakest of the seven - he is really only discovering how to forum (one of his PMs is sent to David & a bot, lol), but lo and behold - it's Ralph that proposed the first alliance of the game - himself & Kristina bonding over love of gaming.

Steph and Ashley are going to be a pair here, no doubt. Nothing official yet, but they are the hot girls and their personalities match well. Both have been bright and bubbly with everyone. Ashley's :) emoticons ;D are :O out D: of o.O control!! :) Stephenie is a little more play-it-by-numbers, and you'd only notice from here she's sending identikit PMs to a lot of people. It comes off as a little less genuine, but I don't know if anyone will notice. Except Grant did - his Steph assessment is that "something is a little off" and I think his picking up on that forced bubblyness where Ashley's is legit.

Grant is very interesting to me. He is playing hard, yet keeping it pretty well hidden how much. I see him & PB as tribe twins kinda. Kristina is similar but where I can see Grant keeping a handle on it, I kind of expect and would even be surprised if K's doesn't catch up with her. With David then I haven't got a full read on yet - he is ticking over, but I don't see the same bonds being created that I see in all the rest.

Lastly is Julie, who is having a bit of a slow start. I have no worries there though. Once the small talk is out of the way is when she'll begin to shine.

As a tribe Ovambo are putting a lot more thought and talk into this twist, with a few theories doing the rounds.

As for the game in general, cast so far is good. Diverse and eager. We need those four missing to show up pronto. There'll be a huge difference between beginning with four inactive or very late compared to if they all showed up before this time tomorrow. It could make or break the Season as a whole.
Brenda

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39:45 am

We'll see. Jim I think will be fine, Elyse Emailed me the day of the game saying she changed her email address so she should be active. May have to replace Mike, but Ill wait until saturday/sunday to make that call.

I think it might just take the n00bs a while to get warmed up
Jeff Probst

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44:01 pm

I love how both Matt and Jim show up, and Jim to Cochran;
Right back at you, Cochran! You are one of my favo Survivors of all time. It looks like we have a pretty good tribe.

I wasn't around much last night, so it looks like I missed the early excitement. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out this site. Its huge!

Have you found the Hidden Immunity Idol yet???

Meanwhile Matt to Kristina;
our messages send twice. Do mine?

p.s let me know if u find the hidden immunity idol

People think they are being original :D
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:14:40 pm

But in two PMs and one post he has Kristina all riled up :D
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:38:28 pm

Nama are so quiet at this time of day compared to Ovambo. They seem to have two or three people on constantly, while Nama have extremes of six or none.
Brenda

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43:24 pm

Brenda wrote:Nama are so quiet at this time of day compared to Ovambo. They seem to have two or three people on constantly, while Nama have extremes of six or none.

I've noticed that. Ovambo is really picking up though, they're more consistant. Both tribes seem equal in activity though.
Jeff Probst

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:48:52 pm

Sophie wrote:The truth is that I LIKE blindsiding people early on, and if it were up to me I would get rid of the "Franks" of the game right away since they are just egotistical and annoying to have to deal with. However, I can't approach it like that this time since clearly this is a more educated and talented group of players.

Shots have been fired!
Brenda

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:13:46 pm

Brenda wrote:
Sophie wrote:The truth is that I LIKE blindsiding people early on, and if it were up to me I would get rid of the "Franks" of the game right away since they are just egotistical and annoying to have to deal with. However, I can't approach it like that this time since clearly this is a more educated and talented group of players.

Shots have been fired!

icon_lol
Frank

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:24:38 pm

Okay college in the morning so I'm heading off and I'll miss the ranking reveal and the rest of it. Some thoughts before I go. Ovambo is clearly the more interesting tribe right now. Part of it is because they have a full house, part of it is because they are all relatively evenly-willed/strong. I'll tounch on Nama first I guess.

Because I fear for Nama. Even though they seem to have a cluster of steadier heads, they are less organized at the same time. Where Ovambo will end up with a few cores pulling in opposite directions, my worry is Nama will just have this strong core and the outliers will get picked off.

Nama

Sophie & Sem are the core here. No doubt about it. And what is funny about that is that they are both talking about cutting the other threats in private already - even each other - but no way they do. They will be working together long into this game, although maybe not BFFs. Sophie wants to add Cochran to that, while Sem has a preference for Jim. I'm not really sold on Cochran yet? He is missing the right spark to make me root for him or even think he'll do well. I fear a Brian 2.0 to Sophie's Helen. Rick is not a part of that yet, but I'd be surprised if he didn't work his way into it before too long. I quite like Rick - there's a slow and methodological approach going on, and I think he'll take a slowburner, but interesting approach here. But again, that's not exactly exciting - and if these four become the core of the tribe like they look like doing, that could be a chess game of a tribe to watch. Slow and potential big moments, but hard to watch when the other beach is on a knife edge.

Of the rest, all three of PB, Jim, & Whit are bringing something to the table. Whit has been quiet so far today, but I thought she began with some good impressions last night - mostly with PB I guess? Since Soph is stringing her along mostly. I do love Whitney though, she is this tribe's Ashley. She just needs to get her teeth into something a little more solid before things happen without her.

PB then is golden. Working lots of angles and so far most close with Rick I'd guess. Very eager, lots of PMs, thinking hard on twists and idols and all-sorts. I would hate to see him leave early when he is just so into it all.

Jim then, is probably bringing the most of any of the up-till-now outliers. He's very quickly endearing himself to anyone he talks with. Most notably Sem, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a few more fans by the time I get back later. He just has a much more fun approach in PMs than the standard "getting-to-know-you" that the rest are doing. I love his plan to try get voted last. I mean, people over on Ovambo are talking about keeping certain people out of that spot, but he is the only one actively trying to go for it.

Christine, I love ya gurl, but you need to be here more and get to PMing. She is last on everyone's lists with the exclusion of Elyse. I do see she's just arriving as I'm leaving, so with an hour or two here she could make a better impression than she has so far. But right now, she's making the same mistakes she was specifically trying to avoid.

Elyse - meh.

So I guess, worst case scenario, all of Sophie/Sem/Cochran/Jim/Rick just get together and that is the end of that. But with Jim in the mix there is potential for things to get interesting. Also with Semhar wary of Sophie. That bond between PB & Whit is not to be underestimated either, especially if Rick/Jim find themselves getting close with PB or Whit. Christine has up until Elyse's removal/replacement to get the thumb out or she'll be an easy boot decision for a lot of them.
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:48:00 pm

I was gonna do the same thing for Ovambo but that tribe is a mess right now. As of last I read, Ralph & Kristina think they are sitting pretty with one foursome with Grant/David, and another with Steph/Julie. They think they can just boot Mike/Matt and they seem to have forgotten Ashley exists. Meanwhile grant is making his own plans to pull his two #1s David and Ashley closer to each other even though they don't particularly click? He'd probably have Mike in as part of that too. Ashley wants her/Grant/Steph/Ralph. Julie & Steph both are being patient vets and letting it settle I think. Matt is a good troll, but he's completely left out of everything here so not quite the great troll someone like Gregg is - you need to combine trolling with strat or you just won't last.

I'll just do a semi-rankdown and you'll get a feel for who is where by the end.

18. Elyse - ofc
17. Christine - she is back, she sent a few PMs, she needs to do a lot more yet.
16. Matt - I like his troll tactics, but he needs to do more gamewise or he'll be first boot over there without some catastrophic challenge fail or call-out or something.

~gap~

15. Cochran - I find it hard to justify putting him this low, but he's just not clicking with me? I am finding it hard to see his personality.
14. David - Another one who's just not sticking out from the crowd. He's putting in good work though when he's here. Give him some time. Right now he's being overshadowed by nearly everyone.
13. Mike - Good confessionals and lots of plans when he's here. But if he doesn't put some more work in he's getting lined up to be second boot. Only Grant seems to have him in any kind of plans.
12. Whitney - If I'd done this last night, Whit would be way higher. Great start and very bubbly. Not a pip out of her today though, and things are beginning to happen without her.
11. Julie - Julie is being patient, fair enough. And her schtick will drop off in a round or two once they are past the meet-and-greet section. Right now it's distracting me from whatever she's doing to get voted most trustworthy. I think that might stem more fom other people not wanting it than her wanting it icon_laughing
10. Steph - Steph is playing-by-numbers so far. She can be a lot better than this. All I see now is xeroexed PMs being shot around and idk how to put it - a haphazard kind of uneven start? She's in no danger, but not grabbing me either.

~gap~

9. Sophie - Don't get me wrong, Sophie is killing it so far, but I find myself rooting against her and wanting to see it all blow up and Sem turn on her? Already?? I don't even know why icon_laughing I guess if Nama ends up as a predictable and dull tribe I'll be blaming Sophie for being so damn good :P
8. Rick - I like Rick's game here a lot. It's slow and steady, but effective. Not as effective or as universally fun-to-watch as the people above him though. He has piqued my interest though, quite nicely. I want to see how it develops.
7. Ashley - Is Ashley a social 'genious' using her charm and bubblyness to get her where she wants to be? Or just a natural? idk. She is so very likeable though. Whitney with teeth. She does need to branch out from just Grant and build more with Steph before she can count herself as safe.

~gap~

6. Semhar - similar to Sophie, Semhar is very good. And she pulls it off with a little more fun and a little more aplomb than Sophie does. If this was a ranking just on capability, the two would likely be #1 & #2 between them. And she will shoot right to #1 if they somehow come to blows in the first round or two. I just fear so much for that tribe becoming dulldulldull. It's a compliment really. Goddamn pair of Spradlins! icon_surprised

5. Papa Bear - PB is great, the perfect noob player. He is lacking a little on the social side maybe but purely down to lack of experience - he's not in any kind of danger yet. I think in an all-noob cast he'd maybe even be in control instead of just on the fringes? I know we haven't even begun down the path of idols but I'll already put money on him being the one to find it.

4. Jim - Jim is the shining light of Nama right now and the key to it not becoming a snoozefest. While Sophie is setting up her majority Jim is slowly but surely working all the angles. He could become the HBIC at this point if he wanted to. Well, he doesn't know that. but even if he did - I don't think he'd want to <33 Trying to get voted last <333 I love that outside the box approach. he will deliver bigtime at some future point in the game, I just know it.

3 & 2. Kristina & Ralph - These two <3 I can't even separate them. They are such a quality pair. From Ralph's faltering footsteps into learning to PM to full-on organizing alliances. Meanwhile Kristina blowing up over Matt. And Matt will most likely leave too. I think part of these two shining is thanks to the more experienced Julie & Steph both taking a back seat strategically. They are setting themselves up to be the pivot pair between two alliances for later but it's all going to come crashing down. not this round, but soon. And they're not even doing anything too terribly wrong - they just don't know about two pretty fundamental things. They can read this later and know for future games;
- 1) Everyone else on the tribe is also playing the game icon_laughing
- 2) People talk and compare stories! icon_lol Don't even worry you two, I was so horribly guilty of #2 in my second game I tanked my whole merge majority icon_chaos

1. Grant - It is hard to think he is a noob too. He is like the opposite and anti-thesis of Kristina/Ralph and doing everything right. Strategical but still engaging. Trusted by all but with a sneaky side. Voting his list the other way to fuck everyone else's up <33 He reminds me a lot of Bobbi-Jon.
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:55:17 pm

Oh and before I go, can I just lol quietly that Ovambo are delighted to see Elyse has no-shown so they assume advantage in the first challenge. But Matt has not, and most likely will not have done a ranking by the deadline either icon_lol
Brenda

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:58:35 pm

Wasn't the deadline like 2 hours ago?
Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:59:24 pm

Oh and I started totaling up the rankings, did you do them already?
Frank

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04:43 pm

Hardly even looked at them. I thought the deadline is 9c/10e. Which is five minutes ago afaik? Yankee DST was last week.
Brenda

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05:57 pm

Yep I just checked Jeff's reminder. It was 5 minutes ago. I'll total them up.
Frank

Next

Return to Blogs