Finale

RUNNER-UP | |6-1-1 | Better Than Mike

Finale

Postby Jeff Probst » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16:18 pm

boop
Jeff Probst

Re: Episode 13

Postby David » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41:16 pm

So that was a crazy tribal council. I feel awful about the way I responded to the criticism, but I hope I can explain myself right now. I know in the past I've said I don't think I can win, but that's not necessarily true. I still think there is a shred of hope that I could pull out a victory. It's sort of like how people say 'I can tease my brother, but you can't'. It's like I'm very protective of my shitty gameplay. In addition, I feel like I have had to make tough decisions and that I've always thought through every single vote. So when my game is suddenly being discredited and people are calling me a goat, I get kind of angry. The best part was Julie saying, "Grant and Kristina were voted out for being threats, you're here for a reason!". God, she is so insufferable. Why the hell do you think you are here?!?! Good riddance.

So now, I don't know. I can be a goat for Mike and Steph, or I can be a goat for Ashley and Sophie. I do think I stand a better chance with Ashley and Sophie, but I don't trust them as far as I can through them, and you've seen how awful I am in challenges, so it's not like I can rely on physical strength to get to the end. I have to rely on my brain, but I don't know what to do. Ashley and Sophie have both said that I won't win, and they won't even ask me a question at the final tribal council. Mike and Steph might be able to at least put aside the game and vote for me. Ashley and Sophie would for sure have votes from Cochran, Papa Bear, Whitney and Julie. Kristina probably wouldn't vote for me, but I don't know.
David
Alumni

Postby Jeff Probst » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20:45 pm

David wrote:So that was a crazy tribal council. I feel awful about the way I responded to the criticism, but I hope I can explain myself right now. I know in the past I've said I don't think I can win, but that's not necessarily true. I still think there is a shred of hope that I could pull out a victory. It's sort of like how people say 'I can tease my brother, but you can't'. It's like I'm very protective of my shitty gameplay. In addition, I feel like I have had to make tough decisions and that I've always thought through every single vote. So when my game is suddenly being discredited and people are calling me a goat, I get kind of angry. The best part was Julie saying, "Grant and Kristina were voted out for being threats, you're here for a reason!". God, she is so insufferable. Why the hell do you think you are here?!?! Good riddance.

So now, I don't know. I can be a goat for Mike and Steph, or I can be a goat for Ashley and Sophie. I do think I stand a better chance with Ashley and Sophie, but I don't trust them as far as I can through them, and you've seen how awful I am in challenges, so it's not like I can rely on physical strength to get to the end. I have to rely on my brain, but I don't know what to do. Ashley and Sophie have both said that I won't win, and they won't even ask me a question at the final tribal council. Mike and Steph might be able to at least put aside the game and vote for me. Ashley and Sophie would for sure have votes from Cochran, Papa Bear, Whitney and Julie. Kristina probably wouldn't vote for me, but I don't know.

You've been responsible for several jurors departure going into the final... is that a good case for you to win or a bad one? Do you think going to the final as the sole Ovambo member would make the other Ovambo's more likely to vote for you, or be spiteful?
Jeff Probst

Postby David » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:18:34 pm

That's what makes these decisions so difficult. I don't know what the jurors are thinking in regards to my game. I could have a really good case, or a really bad one. If I were the last Ovambo member standing, would they be more inclined to vote for me? I don't know. Maybe it is best to get rid of Steph right now. I think back to that challenge where we ranked people based on who is the biggest threat to win the game. Stephanie was ranked number one, and if she gets to the finals, she wins, without a doubt. That is just a fact in my mind. Mike is a different story. I think I could beat him. I would feel much better about this decision if I could get Mike on board to vote for Stephanie. It's a long shot, but it might work?
David
Alumni

Postby Jeff Probst » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:49:14 pm

Let me ask you, what happens if Stephanie wins Immunity?
Jeff Probst

Postby David » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:30:23 pm

If Stephanie wins immunity, then I think I will vote for either Sophie or Ashley. One quality that normally makes up a winner is one's ability to look at people in this game as pawns and not exactly people. Even without communicating with anyone here beyond the forums, I can't help but think of them as just pawns. I think that is what makes this decision so difficult for me. Also, I have a better shot against Sophie and Ashley together, but I don't want one of them winning. With Mike and Stephanie, I don't really stand as much of a chance at all, but I would be happy if one of them won. Let me think for a sec. Either way I go, I'm alienating two more people. I'm going to lose either way. So you would think that would make it easier, but nope! I don't want to be anybody's goat, but it's a position that I can't escape anymore.
David
Alumni

Re: Finale

Postby David » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32:21 pm

I changed my vote from Mike to Sophie at about the last second. I'm going to be a goat whichever way I go. It doesn't matter if I want it to happen or not, it's going to happen. So it's almost like I was casting my vote as a juror. Would I want Sophie or Stephanie to win? And the answer was very clear to me. I hate to be playing for other people to win, but I don't feel like I have a choice at this point. I can't win no matter what I do. Also, I can be damn sure now that no one was going to beat Stephanie at this immunity challenge, not even a freaking mathematician can type these numbers as fast as her.

The reason I made it seem like I was going to vote Mike was because I wanted to make sure that if Sophie did have an idol, that it wouldn't get played. Of course, it really meant nothing, and she probably would have played it anyways, but I also kind of just wanted to scare everyone. I also thought that it could maybe stir up some animosity between Stephanie and the girls, so a good idea in theory, but just not the required outcome.

As far as the jury goes, I think I have a shot for second? I could maybe get Grant's vote. Sophie and Ashley have both said that they wouldn't vote for me, but who knows what they are actually thinking. I left on good terms with Cochran, so that is a maybe. Julie, no. Kristina, probably not. Papa Bear, unlikely, but anythings possible. Whitney, nope. So, two or three votes? Not too bad. I think the best thing to do is to try and erase the stigma of me being a goat. If I can get people to see that I was an active player, they might actually begin to consider a contender. Who knows, maybe Stephanie is an awful speaker and has a complete meltdown like I did at the final 6! That would be something!
David
Alumni

Postby David » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:31:59 pm

I guess I need to explain what happened in that vote. So, I voted for Mike. I told everyone that it was because I felt bad for Ashley. In reality, I don't really feel bad for Ashley, I just want her jury vote. I still may not get her vote, and I know that, but this just increased my standing with most of the Nama. At least, I think it did. I took a risk. If Ashley had stayed, I would have for sure lost, but now I have a chance of getting Ashley's vote along with Nama. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I literally cheered when Ashley got the purple rock. This worked out perfectly for me. We'll see if it gets me the votes.

I'm just so happy to have made the final 3. This is so much more than I thought I would ever get, so I'm happy no matter what the outcome is.
David
Alumni

Postby David » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:10:52 pm

My final speech:

So, I'm not sure what the appropriate length for this kind of speech is, so I'm just going try and cover my entire game. I also don't know how long I will be able to answer questions for, so hopefully I can explain myself well enough! Although, I would love questions as well ^_^

Okay, so I'll start with the mole twist. We started by ranking our tribemates, which really catalyzed the need to form alliances and bonds with your other tribemates, so I did that. I got into a four person alliance that consisted, at it's core, of me, Grant, Kristina, and Ralph. Steph and Julie were pulled in for the majority, but weren't in the core four. In hindsight, 'the core four' would have been an amazing alliance name. Additionally, I was talking to Mike and had gotten him to trust me. At this point, I felt like I was doing a very good job in the game. In the first immunity, I stepped up as the leader and we barely pulled out the win. This crucial win just further cemented my position in my tribe. Right after the challenge, I also guessed that Ralph was our mole, and Whitney was the other mole. They were both not at the challenge and Nama's mole had said that they weren't there, so I assumed it had to be Whitney.... guess not.

Matt left, which didn't really affect me since he was going first anyways. In the second challenge, I was once again leader, and we won again. At this point, I tried to step back a little bit and let other people take the reigns for a bit. Leaders normally go home, and I didn't want that same fate. I thought that if we had a tribe swap that I could end up being vulnerable for taking the leader positions. Also, these challenge performances not only cemented my current position, but opened me up to new ones. Mike and I had been talking and eventually formed another four person alliance with me, Mike, Grant, and Steph. This alliance is the one that I chose to stick to for most of the game.

At the swap, Grant left, and he was my closest ally at that point. As a tribe, we also gained Rick. The swap was an easy time for me just because Rick was the easy vote for me, and when Grant came back, he gave all kinds of information of the Nama tribe, which was amazing!!

Then, there was a merge. My plan going into the merge was to just stick by my alliance for the first few votes, and then take advantage of whatever was left of Nama, and make a move against some of the Ovambo members. So for the first vote, we decided that Cochran must go because he is least likely to have an idol. What happens next is where it gets somewhat interesting for me.

Sophie and Papa Bear are really pushing for me to vote with them next round, and I don't think it's a great idea for one of the original Ovambo members to go just yet, but I also want to keep Sophie and Papa Bear on my side. They had been giving me tons of info and input on the game that was so valuable to me and my alliance. So, my plan was to basically vote with them for this vote. That way, Papa Bear could still go home, but Sophie might be more inclined to believe me and give me more information that could hopefully give my alliance more leverage, which it did. I was able to kind of disguise the fact that I was aligned with them, while still keeping an open line of communication with every single person in the game. It worked out perfectly.

At this point, Nama has 3 members left, and we have 8. I figured it would be an okay time to just get rid of one of our own. Ralph revealed at the previous tribal council that he had an idol the whole time, and also revealed that I couldn't trust him as much as I thought that I could. The tribe consensus was that Ralph had to go. This was a really strange vote because it was like, unanimous. The goal at the tribal council was to get Sophie to play an idol that we thought she had, and it would have worked too! If it weren't for those meddling three seconds. At least now we were certain as to who had an idol.

This next vote was the first one that didn't go the way I thought it would. Sophie had told me that she was going to play the idol on herself, even though I knew that she knew the vote was going Whitney's way. This seemed really sketchy to me, so I went to Grant, Mike, and Steph and said if we put our votes on Sophie, the vote will be split so that if the idol is played on Sophie, it will be split three to three and we can revote to get out Whitney. If the idol is played on Whitney, our four votes will be on Sophie and she will go. It seemed like a good plan, and it was, but two things went wrong. We hadn't set anything in stone and Stephanie had to leave early, so we told her to just vote for Whitney. It still could have worked with just three votes. The other thing that went wrong was Julie flipping. I was not counting on that move at all, and was very surprised when it happened. Grant, who was still my closest ally, ended up going home. This left Steph, Mike, Kristina, and myself against Sophie, Whitney, Ashley, and Julie.

Two alliances of even numbers going head to head. At this point, everyone was scrambling and trying to get someone to flip to their side. At tribal, Ashley revealed an idol and Mike had immunity. The two vote getters, Kristina and Sophie, were also immune. This meant I had a one in four chance of going home. I wasn't prepared for that. I had worked so hard to get this far, and I didn't want to stick with an alliance that I wasn't even guaranteed to get to the end with. So I flipped. If I was going to go to rocks, I have to be assured at least a final 3 spot, and I didn't have that.

After the vote, I approached Mike and Steph and told them why I flipped. They both seemed to be okay with it, and I realized that I was their only option at that point. It's not like they could vote me out because they would get to the end with one of the other four and lose. I felt like I was the only person they thought they could beat. I was once again, in the middle. I wanted to stick with Mike and Steph, but wanted to keep Sophie, Ashley, and Julie happy as well. I talked to Sophie and Ashley and brought up the possibility of splitting the votes. This clearly was a very transparent attempt at a betrayal as they saw through it immediately, but they kept me happy by saying they would do it. I will be honest and say that the only reason that I survived that tribal council was because Whitney forgot to vote, but Steph and Mike would not be here either if that had not happened. Luck is a big factor in this game and it came into play at that tribal. Mike drew rocks, and came out on top, and Whitney left.

We are in the same place we were at the final 8, just with two people gone. Two alliances going head to head. Again, I became the one that was in the middle. I was approached by Sophie this time about flipping. We talked to Julie about flipping. Neither would budge. Stephanie found an idol, Mike won immunity, so they had to vote for me, meaning I would be immune from rocks. It all worked out perfectly for me that round as Julie ended up going home and Mike, Steph and I were on top.

The next vote, I was, again, in the middle. This was a constant theme for me in the game. Betraying somebody, but still making myself the person that could potentially flip. At the beginning of the game, I wanted to develop a strategy that put me in positions for people to offer me something and not the other way around, and I did that. I was actually considering flipping this time because I was guaranteed final three if I went with Sophie and Ashley, and I felt like I would have a better chance of winning. At tribal, I realized by Grant's smileys that the jury might not respect a move like that, considering Mike did go to rocks for me. So I stayed with them, and voted for Sophie. I made sure to lead Sophie on so that, if she had an idol, it might not get played. Once I realized that she didn't have, that's when that little charade ended

This last challenge changed a lot of my perspective of the game. I saw how hard Ashley and Stephanie were working in the challenge, and I just had such immense respect for both of them. I began thinking that I had been called a goat so many times in this game, which I don't think I am, but it made me feel like the ones who deserve it should be at the end. Mike left that challenge really early on, and I felt like he hadn't played the game up to the level that Ashley had, so I voted to keep her. This resulted in a tie, which resulted in a rock draw, which resulted in Ashley leaving. You have to understand the emotion behind the decision to truly understand why I made this vote, and I just don't know how to really express what I was feeling at the time.

So, here I sit. We started with 18, and I'm one of the final 3. I truly never imagined I could make it this far, but now that I have, I want to give it my all. So much of the reason why the jury is made up of the people it is made up of is because of decisions that I made. I thought I could play this entire game without letting my emotions get involved, but that just isn't the kind of person that I am. And I don't think that was a bad thing because I learned to balance my emotions with my strategy. I came in wanting to form a solid alliance, and I did. I wanted to do well in challenges, which I did (early on), and I wanted to be the swing vote, which I did. Every single thing that I came in wanting to be, I became.

Strategy wise, I feel like I did very well. I made decisions that would not only benefit my current alliances, but could also open possibilities of new ones forming.
Socially, my philosophy is very similar to Brice's from this current season, 'I give you what you give me'. If I felt like I was being attacked, I fought back and didn't hold back. I did get a little out of hand at that one tribal council, but at every other time, I felt like I was never malicious or rude to people just for the sake of it.
Lastly, my physical game is what allowed me to do so well at the merge. It set me up in alliances that would have never happened if I hadn't stepped up as leader. Later on, my physical game wasn't so hot, but I never felt like I needed immunity to stay in the game.

In conclusion, I lied, backstabbed, and betrayed people, but this game is designed for that kind of behavior to happen. I promised myself that I would never put myself in a vulnerable position for anyone else, which meant I had to do whatever it took for me to leave tribal council still in the game. I know that certain promises were made about not voting for me if I'm on the jury, but at the very least, I hope that this speech has made everyone understand that I'm not just a big goat and that I did make decisions that were for myself, and I have a brain, but a heart as well. I'm sorry if any of my lies hurt you, but I tried to make sure that if I lied, it had to be justifiable, and everything I did led to me being here. So, tonight, vote with your heart, but also with your brain because it's what has worked for me this whole game. Thank you for reading!
David
Alumni

Postby David » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12:58 pm

phew! that took like an hour to write. Should I try and shorten it, or is it okay???
David
Alumni

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:42:30 pm

It's totally up to you. I've seen where writing everything out helps make a case for the win, I've seen where it bores people, honeslty I think it depends on the person giving the speech as to what the jury can tollerate lol.
Jeff Probst

Postby David » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14:15 pm

My final speech:

So, I'm not sure what the appropriate length for this kind of speech is, so I'm just going try and cover my entire game. I also don't know how long I will be able to answer questions for, so hopefully I can explain myself well enough! Although, I would love questions as well ^_^. If you don't want to read the entire thing, the bold part is the most important, so there you go!

Okay, so I'll start with the mole twist. We started by ranking our tribemates, which really catalyzed the need to form alliances and bonds with your other tribemates, so I did that. I got into a four person alliance that consisted, at it's core, of me, Grant, Kristina, and Ralph. Steph and Julie were pulled in for the majority, but weren't in the core four. In hindsight, 'the core four' would have been an amazing alliance name. Additionally, I was talking to Mike and had gotten him to trust me. At this point, I felt like I was doing a very good job in the game. In the first immunity, I stepped up as the leader and we barely pulled out the win. This crucial win just further cemented my position in my tribe. Right after the challenge, I also guessed that Ralph was our mole, and Whitney was the other mole. They were both not at the challenge and Nama's mole had said that they weren't there, so I assumed it had to be Whitney.... guess not.

Matt left, which didn't really affect me since he was going first anyways. In the second challenge, I was once again leader, and we won again. At this point, I tried to step back a little bit and let other people take the reigns for a bit. Leaders normally go home, and I didn't want that same fate. I thought that if we had a tribe swap that I could end up being vulnerable for taking the leader positions. Also, these challenge performances not only cemented my current position, but opened me up to new ones. Mike and I had been talking and eventually formed another four person alliance with me, Mike, Grant, and Steph. This alliance is the one that I chose to stick to for most of the game.

At the swap, Grant left, and he was my closest ally at that point. As a tribe, we also gained Rick. The swap was an easy time for me just because Rick was the easy vote for me, and when Grant came back, he gave all kinds of information of the Nama tribe, which was amazing!!

Then, there was a merge. My plan going into the merge was to just stick by my alliance for the first few votes, and then take advantage of whatever was left of Nama, and make a move against some of the Ovambo members. So for the first vote, we decided that Cochran must go because he is least likely to have an idol. What happens next is where it gets somewhat interesting for me.

Sophie and Papa Bear are really pushing for me to vote with them next round, and I don't think it's a great idea for one of the original Ovambo members to go just yet, but I also want to keep Sophie and Papa Bear on my side. They had been giving me tons of info and input on the game that was so valuable to me and my alliance. So, my plan was to basically vote with them for this vote. That way, Papa Bear could still go home, but Sophie might be more inclined to believe me and give me more information that could hopefully give my alliance more leverage, which it did. I was able to kind of disguise the fact that I was aligned with them, while still keeping an open line of communication with every single person in the game. It worked out perfectly.

At this point, Nama has 3 members left, and we have 8. I figured it would be an okay time to just get rid of one of our own. Ralph revealed at the previous tribal council that he had an idol the whole time, and also revealed that I couldn't trust him as much as I thought that I could. The tribe consensus was that Ralph had to go. This was a really strange vote because it was like, unanimous. The goal at the tribal council was to get Sophie to play an idol that we thought she had, and it would have worked too! If it weren't for those meddling three seconds. At least now we were certain as to who had an idol.

This next vote was the first one that didn't go the way I thought it would. Sophie had told me that she was going to play the idol on herself, even though I knew that she knew the vote was going Whitney's way. This seemed really sketchy to me, so I went to Grant, Mike, and Steph and said if we put our votes on Sophie, the vote will be split so that if the idol is played on Sophie, it will be split three to three and we can revote to get out Whitney. If the idol is played on Whitney, our four votes will be on Sophie and she will go. It seemed like a good plan, and it was, but two things went wrong. We hadn't set anything in stone and Stephanie had to leave early, so we told her to just vote for Whitney. It still could have worked with just three votes. The other thing that went wrong was Julie flipping. I was not counting on that move at all, and was very surprised when it happened. Grant, who was still my closest ally, ended up going home. This left Steph, Mike, Kristina, and myself against Sophie, Whitney, Ashley, and Julie.

Two alliances of even numbers going head to head. At this point, everyone was scrambling and trying to get someone to flip to their side. At tribal, Ashley revealed an idol and Mike had immunity. The two vote getters, Kristina and Sophie, were also immune. This meant I had a one in four chance of going home. I wasn't prepared for that. I had worked so hard to get this far, and I didn't want to stick with an alliance that I wasn't even guaranteed to get to the end with. So I flipped. If I was going to go to rocks, I have to be assured at least a final 3 spot, and I didn't have that.

After the vote, I approached Mike and Steph and told them why I flipped. They both seemed to be okay with it, and I realized that I was their only option at that point. It's not like they could vote me out because they would get to the end with one of the other four and lose. I felt like I was the only person they thought they could beat. I was once again, in the middle. I wanted to stick with Mike and Steph, but wanted to keep Sophie, Ashley, and Julie happy as well. I talked to Sophie and Ashley and brought up the possibility of splitting the votes. This clearly was a very transparent attempt at a betrayal as they saw through it immediately, but they kept me happy by saying they would do it. I will be honest and say that the only reason that I survived that tribal council was because Whitney forgot to vote, but Steph and Mike would not be here either if that had not happened. Luck is a big factor in this game and it came into play at that tribal. Mike drew rocks, and came out on top, and Whitney left.

We are in the same place we were at the final 8, just with two people gone. Two alliances going head to head. Again, I became the one that was in the middle. I was approached by Sophie this time about flipping. We talked to Julie about flipping. Neither would budge. Stephanie found an idol, Mike won immunity, so they had to vote for me, meaning I would be immune from rocks. It all worked out perfectly for me that round as Julie ended up going home and Mike, Steph and I were on top.

The next vote, I was, again, in the middle. This was a constant theme for me in the game. Betraying somebody, but still making myself the person that could potentially flip. At the beginning of the game, I wanted to develop a strategy that put me in positions for people to offer me something and not the other way around, and I did that. I was actually considering flipping this time because I was guaranteed final three if I went with Sophie and Ashley, and I felt like I would have a better chance of winning. At tribal, I realized by Grant's smileys that the jury might not respect a move like that, considering Mike did go to rocks for me. So I stayed with them, and voted for Sophie. I made sure to lead Sophie on so that, if she had an idol, it might not get played. Once I realized that she didn't have, that's when that little charade ended

This last challenge changed a lot of my perspective of the game. I saw how hard Ashley and Stephanie were working in the challenge, and I just had such immense respect for both of them. I began thinking that I had been called a goat so many times in this game, which I don't think I am, but it made me feel like the ones who deserve it should be at the end. Mike left that challenge really early on, and I felt like he hadn't played the game up to the level that Ashley had, so I voted to keep her. This resulted in a tie, which resulted in a rock draw, which resulted in Ashley leaving. You have to understand the emotion behind the decision to truly understand why I made this vote, and I just don't know how to really express what I was feeling at the time.

So, here I sit. We started with 18, and I'm one of the final 3. I truly never imagined I could make it this far, but now that I have, I want to give it my all. So much of the reason why the jury is made up of the people it is made up of is because of decisions that I made. I thought I could play this entire game without letting my emotions get involved, but that just isn't the kind of person that I am. And I don't think that was a bad thing because I learned to balance my emotions with my strategy. I came in wanting to form a solid alliance, and I did. I wanted to do well in challenges, which I did (early on), and I wanted to be the swing vote, which I did. Every single thing that I came in wanting to be, I became.

Strategy wise, I feel like I did very well. I made decisions that would not only benefit my current alliances, but could also open possibilities of new ones forming.
Socially, my philosophy is very similar to Brice's from this current season, 'I give you what you give me'. If I felt like I was being attacked, I fought back and didn't hold back. I did get a little out of hand at that one tribal council, but at every other time, I felt like I was never malicious or rude to people just for the sake of it.
Lastly, my physical game is what allowed me to do so well at the merge. It set me up in alliances that would have never happened if I hadn't stepped up as leader. Later on, my physical game wasn't so hot, but I never felt like I needed immunity to stay in the game.

In conclusion, I lied, backstabbed, and betrayed people, but this game is designed for that kind of behavior to happen. I promised myself that I would never put myself in a vulnerable position for anyone else, which meant I had to do whatever it took for me to leave tribal council still in the game. I know that certain promises were made about not voting for me if I'm on the jury, but at the very least, I hope that this speech has made everyone understand that I'm not just a big goat and that I did make decisions that were for myself, and I have a brain, but a heart as well. I'm sorry if any of my lies hurt you, but I tried to make sure that if I lied, it had to be justifiable, and everything I did led to me being here. So, tonight, vote with your heart, but also with your brain because it's what has worked for me this whole game. Thank you for reading!

Revised!
David
Alumni

Postby David » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:17:56 pm

My final speech:

So, I'm not sure what the appropriate length for this kind of speech is, so I'm just going try and cover my entire game. I also don't know how long I will be able to answer questions for, so hopefully I can explain myself well enough! Although, I would love questions as well ^_^. If you don't want to read the entire thing, the bold part at the end is the most important, so there you go!

In conclusion, I lied, backstabbed, and betrayed people, but this game is designed for that kind of behavior to happen. I promised myself that I would never put myself in a vulnerable position for anyone else, which meant I had to do whatever it took for me to leave tribal council still in the game. I know that certain promises were made about not voting for me if I'm at the final 3, but at the very least, I hope that this speech has made everyone understand that I'm not just a big goat and that I did make decisions that were for myself, and I have a brain, but a heart as well. I'm sorry if any of my lies hurt you, but I tried to make sure that if I lied, it had to be justifiable, and everything I did led to me being here. So, tonight, vote with your heart, but also with your brain because it's what has worked for me this whole game. Thank you for reading!

Revised! Again!
David
Alumni

Postby David » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:09:46 pm

My final speech:

So, I'm not sure what the appropriate length for this kind of speech is, so I'm just going try and cover my entire game. I also don't know how long I will be able to answer questions for, so hopefully I can explain myself well enough! Although, I would love questions as well ^_^. If you don't want to read the entire thing, the bold parts are the most important, so there you go!

Matt left, which didn't really affect me since he was going first anyways. In the second challenge, I was once again leader, and we won again. At this point, I tried to step back a little bit and let other people take the reigns for a bit. Leaders normally go home, and I didn't want that same fate. I thought that if we had a tribe swap that I could end up being vulnerable for taking the leader positions. Also, these early challenge performances not only cemented my current position, but opened me up to new ones. Mike and I had been talking and eventually formed another four person alliance with me, Mike, Grant, and Steph that was based on activity and challenge strength. This alliance is the one that I chose to stick to for most of the game.

Two alliances of even numbers going head to head. At this point, everyone was scrambling and trying to get someone to flip to their side. At tribal, Ashley revealed an idol and Mike had immunity. The two vote getters, Kristina and Sophie, were also immune. This meant I had a one in four chance of going home. I wasn't prepared for that. I had worked so hard to get this far, and I didn't want to stick with an alliance that I wasn't even guaranteed to get to the end with. So I flipped. If I was going to go to rocks, I have to be assured at least a final 3 spot, and I didn't have that. I could only be promised final four in that alliance, and I couldn't accept that.

After the vote, I approached Mike and Steph and told them why I flipped. They both seemed to be okay with it, and I realized that I was their only option at that point. It's not like they could vote me out because they would get to the end with one of the other four and lose. I felt like I was the only person they thought they could beat. I was once again, in the middle. I wanted to stick with Mike and Steph, but wanted to keep Sophie, Ashley, and Julie happy as well. I talked to Sophie and Ashley and brought up the possibility of splitting the votes. This clearly was a very transparent attempt at a betrayal as they saw through it immediately, but they kept me happy by saying they would do it. I will be honest and say that the only reason that I survived that tribal council was because Whitney did not vote, but Steph and Mike would not be here either if that had not happened. Luck is a big factor in this game and it came into play at that tribal. Mike drew rocks, and came out on top, and Whitney left.

The next vote, I was, again, in the middle. This was a constant theme for me in the game. Betraying somebody, but still making myself the person that could potentially flip. At the beginning of the game, I wanted to develop a strategy that put me in positions for people to offer me something and not the other way around, and I did that. I was actually considering flipping this time because I was guaranteed final three if I went with Sophie and Ashley, and I felt like I would have a better chance of winning. At tribal, I realized by Grant's smileys that the jury might not respect a move like that, considering Mike did go to rocks for me. So I stayed with them, and voted for Sophie. I made sure to lead Sophie on so that, if she had an idol, it might not get played. Once I realized that she didn't have an idol, that's when that little charade ended

This last challenge changed a lot of my perspective of the game. I don't want people on the jury to think that I was a goat that just did whatever I was told. I want people to know that I actually made moves and had a gameplan. I figured that my best shot at the end was against Ashley and one of Mike/Steph. This was because I felt like I could try and use Ashley's status of not being in the game the whole time against her. Ashley also told me about how she was the reason Papa Bear went home, and I just figured that I would have a better shot of winning. Against Mike and Steph, it's hard to imagine myself winning because they both played really well, but against Sophie and Ashley, it would have been the same thing. At the final five, I was faced with such a hard decision, so I just had to do what felt right. My thinking was that I could vote out Sophie now, since she was the most threatening, and then I could get out Mike/Steph, and my chances would be better.

So, here I sit. We started with 18, and I'm one of the final 3. I truly never imagined I could make it this far, but now that I have, I want to give it my all. So much of the reason why the jury is made up of the people it is made up of is because of decisions that I made. I thought I could play this entire game without letting my emotions get involved, but that just isn't the kind of person that I am. And I don't think that was a bad thing because I learned to balance my emotions with my strategy. I came in wanting to form a solid alliance, and I did. I wanted to do well in challenges, which I did (early on), and I wanted to be the swing vote, which I did. Every single thing that I came in wanting to be, I became. And a big part of this game is adapting, and you can knock my game all you want, but I adapted at every vote, and learned to deal with the twists that were thrown my way.

Strategy wise, I feel like I did very well. I made decisions that would not only benefit my current alliances, but could also open possibilities of new ones forming. The wall of text above I think describes my strategic game pretty well.
Lastly, my early physical game is what allowed me to do so well at the merge. It set me up in alliances that would have never happened if I hadn't stepped up as leader early on. Later on, my physical game wasn't so hot, but I never felt like I needed immunity to stay in the game. I was never under the illusion that I would be some challenge god, which is why I was so glad that the alliance of me, Mike, Steph, and Grant worked out because I now had people on my side who could offer me something that I couldn't offer myself, which was challenge prowess.

In conclusion, I lied, backstabbed, and betrayed people, but this game is designed for that kind of behavior to happen. I promised myself that I would never put myself in a vulnerable position for anyone else, which meant I had to do whatever it took for me to leave tribal council still in the game. I know that certain promises were made about not voting for me if I'm at the final 3, but at the very least, I hope that this speech has made everyone understand that I'm not just a big goat and that I did make decisions that were for myself, and I have a brain, but a heart as well. I'm sorry if any of my lies hurt you, but I tried to make sure that if I lied, it had to be justifiable, and I stuck by that rule pretty well. At the same time, everything I did led to me being here, so I can't feel too bad. So, tonight, if you vote for me, awesome, if you don't, awesome! I just hope you can vote, not only with your heart, but also with your brain, because that is why I'm sitting here right now. Thank you for reading!
David
Alumni

Return to David